Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ghetto not -so -fabulous outgoing messages

I would like to thank my friend, Angela, a fellow staff member at my school for this post idea. She and I were talking about how as part of our job, we must make several phone calls to the parents of our students. Over the years we have laughed, gasped, or just said, "WTF?" about some of the outgoing messages we have heard. From memory, I will post the ones that stand out the most. To set the scene: Picture me needing to contact a parent for reasons such as behavior concerns, setting up a meeting, or some other question. Here is some of what we hear when we dial some of these phone numbers:

Dialing...then:

A rap song full of obscenities played in it's ENTIRETY until after about three minutes I hear the beep to leave a message but by that time I have forgotten who I was calling.

This one I am quoting verbatim: "Hey all you haters and all you f----n' b-----s if you are calling to start s--- with me then don't even leave me a message. The rest of you please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

Or, "If I don't answer the phone that just means I don't wanna talk to you right now. Or maybe I am at the club, hayyyy!"

Or, "Leave me a message, and I will holla back at you when I feel like it!"

Sometimes it is a soulful LONG rendition of a song by Beyonce, who I like, btw. But when I have been trying to get a hold of you all day, by the third time, I really am done with the song.

And so on! I often wonder, what if the electric company calls with a question about their bill?
What if their doctor's office wants to confirm an appointment, or give them test results? Or, God forbid if someone was calling to schedule a job interview/offer? Whatever happened to just common phone courtesy? My own outgoing message is downright boring compared to these!

Just another observation I wanted to share with you all on my day to day life at work. :)

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Yes! There have been many phone messages I have wanted to post about. I make the reminder calls for our therapists. There are some classics.

peewee said...

HAHAHHAHAHA!!! I am SO using #1 for when my yoga clients call!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Yes! A potential employee at our school had a dumb one and it almost cost them an interview! Think it through people..

Anonymous said...

for a long time Shae used to record the dumbest phone messages, he's mellowed out now, but now I wonder if that's why I never got any job interviews for a year? No Just kidding:) but really Shae would do that; sooooo annoying, his parents and my parents thought it was funny..

Debbie said...

I've had some experiences similar to that just calling people about volunteering. It sure makes you wonder what the kids' lives must be like.

Angela Saunders said...

Nice! Sorry I haven't kept up with your blogs for awhile. I am sure I will have a few new song quotes to add soon.... however, due to the recent M.J. drama I have been getting a lot of his songs. Do we really have to hear 3 minutes of a song before being able to leave a message? Must we be held hostage when we are trying to do the right thing?