Thursday, July 16, 2009

Parks & Rec,....you get what you pay for!

Ok, so this is the third summer I have signed up the kids for some kind of swim class. It is dirt cheap to sign up for two weeks worth of lessons, so I can never resist. However, with "dirt cheapness" comes other things as well. Here are some I have noticed over the last three summers.

The "teachers" are all certified life guards who look like they range in age from 15-17. I could be wrong on that number, but it's my guess. The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they act like they would rather be ANYWHERE else than at the pool, teaching kids how to swim.

Their enthusiasm level ranges from mild interest, i.e "good job, whose next?" To complete checking out during class, i.e. staring off in space while the kids all splash around waiting.

These people are young men and women in bathing suits and apparently this can be EXTREMELY distracting for them. For example, one day I was watching a lesson when a male and female teacher got so caught up in their flirting, splashing each other, etc. that one of the kids goes, "um, what are we supposed to do now?" They just looked at each other.

On the flip side, our Parks and Rec is brand new and closer to our house than before. There is also a new facility with all new state of the art equipment, so that's cool. Looks like we will be signed up next summer as well!

6 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Yep. True teenagers, huh? I wonder the same thing when I take my boys to the pool!

forever folding laundry said...

It's pretty much the same story over here. Also...the lifeguards at our pool wear bikinis now. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about that!

~Keri

Debbie said...

Since I live with the people in the demographic you are talking about, I can empathize! I am sure they are too busy looking at each other.

Tulip Row said...

I.m not sure what it is, but in SD it was the same, 16 year old, red suit, zero interest...

Anonymous said...

That's funny! I guess it counts if the kids are having fun and they learn something! My kids intructor's a big heavy man that's always blowing his whistle when he sees kids running by the pool!LOL and no he's not trying to be sexy or tries to flirt with anyone!Thank god!

peewee said...

HAHA!! This is how I feel when I watch the "dog trainers" at Petco...zit faced teens who "teach" training and everything they say is completely wrong, or insanely basic.