Sunday, July 19, 2009

Where are your manners?? A PSA

We have now reached a new stage in our family. The one where both kids are either too big, or just flat our refuse to sit in a shopping cart. This is usually OK, but I realized that there are a lot of social graces and etiquette rules that have to be taught whilst out in public. Some basics that are necessary, yet elude my kids. I am working on it, people! Yeah, you who glared at me at Trader Joe's yesterday, hope you are reading this. Anyways, this is what I actually thought was ingrained into every human, but I forgot what it was like to be three years old.

One, when reaching near someone or having to get close to someone else for whatever reason, you should always say, "Excuse me." This is also true if you find the need to walk in front of someone or you find yourself directly in their path. Making a face to match what you're saying can be helpful, too.

You should NEVER EVER point out other people's characteristics that you have noticed. i.e. Never ever say, "Mom, wook at his stomach mom, it is really, really big!" and such. This causes extreme mortification to anyone in your party who hears this. Especially if third party observers over hear this and start laughing. You should exit the premises immediately if you find yourself in this situation.

When speaking out in public, please do not shout about what you are doing, what you found on the shelf in aisle four, or shout a discussion about what foods you find "Yucky" as you stroll past them. Please only speak at a volume that does not cause everyone else to stop what they are doing to look at you.

Most important rule: Do not sneak items into the grocery cart of the person you came with. It is considered in poor taste, rude, and sneaky.

Do help the person who brought you by politely smiling at others, getting things that you are asked to grab, and telling your mom how beautiful she is helps, too. Ha ha, OK, seriously...

Ok, if I left anything out, please let me know!

11 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

omg I remember those days!!!!!!

I always brought a big bag of "Im sorry's" with me when we went shopping!!

Mainly a midwife said...

Love that post!! I really do cringe when my kids make comments/observations about others around us. I never know what's about to come out.

Tulip Row said...

How about not pointing out people's ethnicities... Fiona has done this recently, " Mom, look at the Mexican Baby!" He was Indian BTW....

JennyMac said...

TOO funny. Love the PSA. And our 2 year old is doing great with "excuse me". Challenging for us is that some grown ups don't apparently know this phrase. He told a mom who barreled by him (almost knocking him over) at the park last weekend, "YOU DINT SAY EXCUSE ME". She made a face...I thought what a great point.

Peaches said...

Clayton's favorite is to point out people with eye patches and scream "Look mom, a pirate! AAAARRRRGG!!"

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I know. I know all of them well! Or am trying too..

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I have taken an approach somewhat opposite to this. I have stopped apologizing. It just takes too much time and energy.

I now just stare back at people with open hostility.

It seems to be working...

-Francesca

ck said...

My kids always try and sneak things into the cart. And then they get all put off when I ask the cashier not to ring up the items...and by "they" I mean my kids AND the cashier.

I'd totally go grocery shopping at night when they're asleep if I was able to focus after spending the day with them...

peewee said...

I was with my nephew when he was three and my friend with a her half asian baby cam over and he excitedly looked into the stroller and said..."auntie kristi...why she gots these eyes" and proceeded to pull his eyes apart...right in front of her.

I wanted to DIE and laugh my ass off at the same time.

Debbie said...

Get in and get out! I think speed is your best weapon and defense:)

Anonymous said...

oh I try skipping the cookie aisle it's just too stressful! For a while they would go to the cereal section and open a brand new box and start eating it, they said Grandma lets them do that so why should I mind?