Thursday, September 17, 2009

Freak Magnet Friday!

Today's story has had some logistics changed as it is a work-related story. Ok, so I used to work at this elementary school, and at this school we have custodians! No surprise there, but one of them is a bit strange, freakish, if you will. He is the kind of person who mumbles underneath his breath to no one in particular. When you walk by him he purposefully looks away even though you are face to face, making too awkward to say hello or anything. Of course, he has chosen ME (and probably others) to exhibit his weirdness. Here are some excerpts from some of our painful but short interactions on campus:


Example a).

Me: Hi, I locked my keys in my office, could you open my door?

Him: Oh, so now you talk to me...when you need something.

Me: What do you mean? You never say anything to me either.

Him: The woman is supposed to be the one to start contact with the man.

Me: huh? (awkward smile/silence)


Example b).

Him: You know Happy Hour starts at four o'clock.

Me: Okayyyy....

Him: (next day) I went to your office, you said you were taking me to Happy Hour but you didn't. I see how you are.

Me: I never said I was taking you to Happy Hour! Happy Hour where?

him: Yes, you did. Remember when I told you about Happy hour yesterday? That's when.

Me: (thinking) "Estas loco!"


Example c).

Him: What do you do in your office all day, sleep? Everyday I wonder what you do in there. I really, really wonder, do you just come in, collect your paycheck and leave? I should have gone to college so I can get a job where I can go in and sleep the whole time. One day I am going to find out what you're doing in there, just wait.

Me: (thinking) Should I get mad or just feel sorry for him? Get a restraining order?

Last example: One time one of our new, very young teachers called him on his walkie and asked him to help her hang something up on her wall. He LITERALLY tripped over things running to get to her classroom, like she said she was on fire or something! This was hilarious! Aaah, puppy love...

And so on! You might read this and think he is just trying to joke around, banter with me, right? I would think so too, but he is not smiling or laughing when he says these things to me, it is very weird. He also told me that the entire staff at one point or another has bought him lunch and that I haven't bought him lunch yet, so....ugh!!!

Who knows what his story is? I know that when I do lock myself out of my office from time to time, that I am going to have a painful weird conversation to go along with it!

Thanks for reading! Happy Friday!





15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I could imagine myself saying some of these things. But I am also hilarious and awesome.

peewee said...

YAY! I am so excited that you wrote freak magnet friday on thursday! I'm sick, so I've been mindlessly clicking on my favorite sites and all of them are the same post of course, and then SURPRISE! Thanks!

peewee said...

oh, and also he sounds TOTALLY WEIRD! I have had situations like that too and it's just plain awkward!!

Kris said...

Uh, he doesn't know where you live, does he? Cause that whole "I'm gonna find out what you do...just wait" would be awfully freaky. Schools still do criminal records checks on their employees, right?

Anonymous said...

ha! The woman is supposed to start contact with a man? Where does he think he is at a cheap $2 bar??

Mainly a midwife said...

You have to be careful with this one. He doesn't sound quite right dear.

Anonymous said...

That is it! LOCO STATUS!

Vodka Mom said...

yikes. You might want to invest in a clever disguise.

Michael and Megan Louis said...

AHHHHH Ha Ha Ha!!! Laughing out loud!!! I've had very similar experiences.... :-)

Angela Saunders said...

ah, life at an elementary school. aren't all custodians like this? i think giving "keys" to all the doors in the school may have unlocked too much for this guy.

enjoy..... and next time, i would ask the secretary for your spare key. spare yourself the uncomfortable banter.

Angela Saunders said...

ah, life at an elementary school. i swear there is never a dull moment. especially for those with keys to all of the doors in the school. i think having a set of keys may have unlocked a little too much for this guy.

i think next time you should get your spare key from the secretary.... spare yourself from the strange and perplexing dialoge.

or give him some tic-tacs like the seinfeld episode with the "close talker" so at least you can hear him coming : -)

peewee said...

How about ADDING Man Magnet Monday!? or something. Like all the crazy guys you've attracted?! Dated?! One day isn't working for me. I need 2!

Kristina P. said...

Hey, if you want to email me about the underwear, I would be happy to explain about it!

jungle-gym mom said...

Wow! And we trust him to be around young girls??

Anonymous said...

Too funny! OK, scary too, but maybe you could have fun with this situation somehow... duh, you already are - great material!