Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Any change, whether positive or negative, creates stress."

This is a (indirect) quote from one the kazillion books I read while I was in college getting my degree in Psychology. I am sorry, but I don't remember the author.
So, after 12 YEARS my hubs has finally had his work schedule change from swing shift to day shift! This is huge news since we have two young children, one in preschool and the other in first grade. I was basically a single parent all week and it was starting to take it's toll. Night after night after the kids would go to bed I would call my hubs at work and it would go something like this:

Him: Hello?
Me: Oh my God...(sighing loud to emphasize point)
Him: What happened?
Me: The kids almost pushed me over the edge/wore me out/drove me insane/ tonight!
Him: Why? What were they doing?

And so on! His questions were not that easy to answer. After all, they were just being kids, it's hard to explain what they were actually doing, ya know? These past few years I have a whole new respect for what single parents must go through every single day for the most part. It can be hard to juggle the needs of two kids from the moment I get home from work until they go to sleep, and that is on a good day! I realize that I am not the most organized person, this just adds to that stress, ugh.
BUT now the hubs is going to be home! I can go out during the week, even after dark! We can have dinner as a family, we can do more things together without having to wait for the weekend, I am so looking forward to all of that. The flip side? He is going to be home more than I have been used to for the last 12 years. Football will be on the TV on Mondays, and him being around means more of a chance for us to disagree about something, but I am done doing it solo, so hopefully it will all be good. I will keep you posted on how our adjustment is going!

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Well that's awesome, I bet the kids are excited too!! Well here I am complaining how hard my life is with Shae getting home at 7:00 or 7:30, and not seeing him at all on Thursday and Friday nights because of football games he has to go to. Now I do feel like a complainer!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Exciting! I bet it is going to be awesome! can't wait to hear!

peewee said...

It sounds like it'll be VERY blogworthy! Can't wait to hear about it all :)

seriously? said...

I am happy for you...I think? It will take some time to settle in but, having two extra hands around the house during the witching hour at home will be great!!!

jungle-gym mom said...

Yaa is he happy too?? Night sleep is good! I will soon go to day shift also in spring..looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I about the post should secure more info then it has.