Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blast from the deprived '70's past


So today I was talking with my neighbor about the toys we used to have back in the '7o's. It was one of those kidsthesedaysdon'tknowhowgoodtheyhaveit...conversations.

I thought I would share with you one of the toys I brought up, the Lite Brite! Did we get in new in the box? No way! Not when there was a perfectly good one (with God knows how many of the color pegs missing) available at a garage sale for a fraction of the price! Who cares if the light bulb was missing? You could always find one in the house somewhere.

And the picture templates all used up? No worries, we just tore the pages out of our coloring books and Voila! A new template to plug into!

Oh and don't forget we were not wasteful back in the day, so we had to keep the lightbulb OFF while we were creating our latest design until we were FINISHED with putting all the color pegs into the Lite Brite! Wasting electricity, even if from one light, was forbidden.

So, I want to hear from you, what toys do you remember the most? Which ones were always breaking, or didn't quite work right, or which do you have the most fond memory of?

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I loved the Lite Brite. I think it was one of my favorite toys.

Mayhem and Moxie said...

I'm with Kristina P on this one. Lite Brite was an absolute favorite...as was Battle Ship and Checkers. I also played tons of cards with my grandparents.

I have to admit, though, using pages out of coloring books for templates is pure genius. We were never creative enough to come up with that one!

-Francesca

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that connect four is one of my favorites, I don't think that I ever had a Lite Brite, it was more like a knock off but hey it still worked!:) Of course you know I loved barbie's and strawberry shortcake. I remember visiting you guys one time over the summer and Claudia had the big Barbie house, I sooo wanted it... oh did you see they have a new connect four where four people can play it? I want that too!Oh and BTW the kids commercials were so much better back in the day, the lingos, the music, everything:)

sAm said...

The toys I played with the most were Barbie dolls. But the one I most want to comment on....the Easy Bake Oven. After months of begging and cutting ads out of the paper, I finally got one for Christmas one year. I made ONE stinking cake in it. It was nasty. After that, my Mom wouldn't spend the $$ on more cake mix. I now realize that any box cake mix would've worked...but back then I had no idea - and it broke my heart that I couldn't try again - see if the next cake would be better, y'know? As an adult I guess I could go get another and try again - but I'd hate to waste electricity with that one light bulb.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

That's easy- My Easy Bake Oven. Whipped up cakes like a slow cooking fiend. Pretty rockin'

Kris said...

I played a lot with fashion plates. Remember those? You could switch out the little plates, then rub a crayon over it to make the impression, and then color it?

Also, Mouse Trap is still the best board game ever.

Debbie said...

Lite was my all time favorite! I spent hours on that thing.

Angela Saunders said...

I loved the Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. It was a total piece of crap! I had to have my parents shave the ice for me because all of the parts were plastic and it wouldn't cut up the ice, no matter how much muscle I tried to put in to it. It became a huge let down. To make matters worse, the syrup for the shaved ice tasted like crap. Looking back, I think this was a sign of what was to come as a consumer -- if only the Snoppy Snow Cone Machine would have been my only bad purchase : )