Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Freak magnet Friday! Euro-freaks or culture clash?

So I was looking through some old stuff when I found a journal my BFF created to document our trip to Europe in 1988, the year I graduated High School. I will summarize the "freak" points of this journal for your reading pleasure!
We were there for three weeks and stayed in two different youth hostels. One in Holland and one in Paris, France. Yes, THE Paris! Not Hilton...so anyways, we had a variety of bizarre experiences while staying at these places.

We are in our room at our first hostel in Holland, it is like 3AM but we had just got there and we couldn't sleep. We had our window open because it was a summer night , we were on the third floor. As we are staring out the window, just kind of shocked that we are now in Europe when just a measly 16 hours ago we were in San Francisco, we hear a commotion! All of a sudden there is a group of both guys and girls who dive into our room through our window! WTH? We just looked at each other. There was about five of them. One of them said: You are the Americans? yes? We want to know all about the United States! Please tell us things about what it is like to live in America!

Well, that is not exactly an easy question to answer, but we just start chatting about how we feel we are superior to the rest of the world, everyone wants to be just like us, it's the U.S.'s world and everyone else just lives in it, you know very patriotic stuff...Then we hear more noise outside when yet another group of young dutch folk dive into our window! They then PHYSICALLY throw the other people out of our window and sat down like nothing happened! What's funny is that they asked us the exact same thing as the other people. WTH was all that? We asked them what their beef was with the other dutchies and one of the guys just made a dismissive motion with his hand and said, "Phht, they are farmers." Farmers? Yes, the cursed Farmer! Wait, what? We later figured that that was the American equivalent of "total loser."
Before these guys left, they broke out into a concert of impromptu fake flatulence, vomitting, and belching noises and then left just as suddenly as they came. Leaving us speechless.

Moving on...we hear there is a "Disco" in the hostel. It was 1988 so we were like, "Hee hee, Disco! (snort). But of course we went to check it out. This is the scene, young travelers, lots of smoking, Euro-Techno music blasting, and SCORE! We can drink here! We meet a very intoxicated young man named "Marlik". Marlik takes it upon himself to show us around. As he is doing this, he is leaving a trail of spilled beer from the glass he is holding. He is also so drunk, that we cannot understand a single word he is saying (picture Keith Richards talking). He then goes to the dance floor, starts to pass out standing up, and in the process burned a hole in the sweater of the girl in front of him with his cigarette! She turned around like, "Hey! Who is burning a hole in my sweater with a cigarette?" But Marlik was too obliviated to notice. Ok, that wasn't freak-like but I thought I would mention him anyways.

I am starting to think that this may turn into a two part post, hmmm. Ok, so then we head off to Paris! Yay! I thought to myself, Paris is the city of all cities to be in, right? I mean it's so glamorous and rich with history...and rich with weirdos, apparently. Let me just say that Paris is way different than Amsterdam, ok? I mean almost night and day with how things went for us.

Ok, now this post is too long! I will continue with our stories from France and how everyone was either weird or mean to us, next Friday! Thanks for reading!

P.S. I am half Dutch, my father was born and raised in Holland. Just wanted you to know!



9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I thought that this was going to turn into the plot from Taken, where two American girls are immediately kidnapped and sold into the sex trade, when they arrive in Paris. Awesome.

forever folding laundry said...

Those crazy Dutch folk. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just a quick question does my aunt Eva know about this or is she gonna find out today? Hee Hee that's a tripped out trip, can't wait to hear the rest!

Tulip Row said...

Are you going to discuss Jesus Sandals guy from Afganistan who gave you the wool & itchy pillowcase?

Also, once Mieke also totally dismissed someone who was talking to us and I asked her why and with an eye roll she told me he was a potato farmer! Ha ha..

Debbie said...

Amazing! I was floored when the guys just dove through your window.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Oh! I like Kristina P.'s take on things. Maybe the story needs an addendum. :)

So glad that I am finally able to read Freak Friday on an actual Friday. Hooray for me!

-Francesca

seriously? said...

OMG...you can't leave me hanging like that. WTH??? I need more info.

If only I could literally throw people out windows, the world would be a much nicer place...FOR EVERYONE!!!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

That seems so odd to me! Just THROW them out? How crazy, but it makes for a cool memory!

Mainly a midwife said...

I'm a little behind on blogs..so I'm just catching up. Yea..the folks diving into the window IS weird..that would have scared me.