Friday, January 9, 2009

Welcome to Freak Magnet Friday!

(Imagine echoe-y announcer voice, followed by sounds of thunder for maximum effect). Ok, I am still planning to invite everyone in blogworld to participate (thanks for the idea, 3 Baby Chicks), but have not had the uninterrupted time to set this up. So, Hopefully I will have this done by next Friday. To remind you, I have decided to have Freak Magnet Friday where every week I share a bizarre, strange, random, but true story of my interactions with other fellow humans. Here is today's story, enjoy....and be glad it wasn't you.:

This story takes place around the summer of 1999. I used to work for a counseling agency where once a year we would all go on a three-day retreat to Bodega Bay and stay in a house on the beach. That was my absolute favorite thing we did there. You could hear the beach from any of the bedroom windows and there was a trail that led straight from the house to the beach. It was awesome! In the three days we had we only had to have one meeting that last two hours, the rest of the time we could do whatever we wanted, glorious!

So, one afternoon, I put on my bikini (I could still wear one at the time), grabbed a towel, a magazine, and a Corona and went to go find a place to relax and read and soak up the sun. I went walking and found a little enclave in some rocks where I thought I could sit and read in privacy..the perfect spot for me! I was so happy!

So I am reading, looking at the ocean every now and then, it was zen-like....and then I see someone swimming in the ocean about 20 feet from the beach. I thought to myself, "Who is swimming alone way over here? Where did they come from?" Hmmm, kind of odd, but oh well, I went back to my reading. Then the swimmer swam to shore not far from me. He was an average Joe looking man, probably late forties, but he came out of the ocean wearing only his tighty-whiteys!!!! It took me a second to realize that a man has just emerged out of the ocean wearing his fruit of the looms, which let me tell you, are not meant for swimming in! I thought to myself, because I know how these things happen to me, "Oh no, here we go..."

So Chonie Boy, as I called him in my head, comes up to me and asks me if he can sit on my towel with me!!!! Ewww!!! I was so thrown off that I didn't even answer. He sits on my towel as if he and I are best friends! He starts asking me random questions, but I can't really comprehend him because I am starting to think that something horrible is going to happen to me and no one will know! My heart started pounding, I was thinking, "How in the He-- am I going to get away from this guy?" I made a point of telling him that I was here at the beach with LOTS of people so that he wouldn't get any ideas. But who knows? He continues to talk and then asks me if he can have a sip of my beer!! Again, ewwww!!! What is wrong with this guy? So, as I am hitting my crescendo of panic, I see one of my co-workers heading my way, just on a walk. I ran to her like she was my angel of mercy! She was a beautiful sight! Such relief...I grabbed my stuff away from Chonie boy and walked with my friend back to the beach house, where of course I shared this exact same story!

Not sure what happened to this guy. But I wondered if he was asking himself where he went wrong with me? Maybe he was berating himself saying, "Stupid! You should have never asked her for a sip of her beer!"

7 comments:

3 Bay B Chicks said...

At excellent beginning to what promises to be an excellent series. Counselormama, you've got serious game when it comes to story telling. I love that the first tale you shared was at a point in your life sans children. Don't get me wrong, I adore the stories about your kids, too. However, it is fun to learn more about you, both past and present.

Happy Friday! Thanks for the great read.

-F.

Tulip Row said...

That was awesome!

seriously? said...

I am confused...where did he go wrong?

forever folding laundry said...

WOW. Just wow. I'm pretty creeped out just reading that!!

Jesenia said...

ahahahahaha lmao---only u!

Mainly a midwife said...

That's a great story. very bizarre..Where were his boundaries? I kept waiting for you to say that your friends put him up to it.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I'm back to give a bit more love to Counselormama. I just re-read this story and it is still cracking me up.

You left two questions on our site that I realized last night I haven't answered...

Who do you blog with?
I blog with two other girls, Kacey and Thuy. Three Bay B Chicks is in no way just me. If it were, I doubt anyone would read it. :)

Do we read all of our comments?
Um, hell yeah. Multiple times, multiple times a day. I am a bit of a freak about checking all things internet related. For the most part, I am not able to respond until either early in the morning or when my kids take naps, but I am always lurking.

-Francesca